Love is Only the Beginning: Chapter Twenty

by Fallen Angel

“Susannah!” a masculine voice yelled from somewhere in the manor. “I want to take you to a ball!”

Seated on the now fixed canopy bed, I did not look or turn away from the window that I stood at. I kept my eyes glued to the blue stream that the sun was reflecting off of. Hearing it trickle through the woodsy area. Not a word came from my mouth either.

Moments later, I heard the sound of Jessie’s footsteps entering the room, but I still did not say or in fact do anything. Mixed up in my thoughts. What was my husband’s reaction going to be with the news? Will he be happy or angered?

“Darling? Is something wrong?” he asked, approaching my side. He slid one arm around my waist, and pulled my body against his. I still did not react, for I did not know how to begin telling him what I had learned. “Tell me what is bothering you.”

“Jessie, I….” I let my voice fade away when Daniel caught my eye. He was kneeling by the stream, and splashing water onto his face. The day was hot.

“Susannah, answer me…what is troubling you?” my husband ordered, tugging on the back of my floor-length dress.

“Jessie.” I pulled away from him before facing him.

“What is it?”

“I am pregnant.”

“What…?”

I looked down at the floor afraid that he was going to be angry, covering my face with my hands. “I am sorry.”

“Sorry? Susannah, this is great!”

Startled, my eyes shot up from surprise. He was happy to hear that I was bearing a child.

The next thing I knew, Jessie was holding me in his arms and placing a kiss on my lips. The kiss only lasted for a few seconds before he excitedly asked, “When did you find out?”

“Last night,” I answered honestly.

“That did not take long did it?”

“Jessie!” I felt myself blushing bright red with embarrassment.

He placed his hand under my chin, forcing me to look into his twinkling green eyes as he said, “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He gave the end of my hair a tug. “Bet it is a boy.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Would not you like to know,” he bantered, then, he placed a hand on my stomach saying, “I love you both.”

Then I stood on tiptoe and placed a passionate kiss on his lips.

* * *

I stepped out of the carriage with the help of the extended gloved hand. I looked up into my husband’s serious green eyes saying, “Jessie, why on earth did you bring me here?”

He smiled, but would not tell me why he had brought me to the Leroux Manor. I looked up at the place in disgust. It was then, that I saw James standing on the balcony that had at one time been mine.

My adopted brother yelled, “Susannah! What are you doing here?”

But before I could get in a word edgewise, Jessie yelled, “Come down, and find out why.”

“I cannot…I am forbidden to leave the manor.”

“What did you do this time?” I yelled up to him, shaking my head.

“I will be right down….” He disappeared from view.

“I feel that it would be appropriate to show Jonathon and Susannah the baby,” my husband suddenly said, placing a hand under my chin, forcing me to look into his eyes.

“Why is that?” I was almost too afraid to ask. I prayed that he did not expect me to bond with them.

“For the reason that he is their grandchild, Susannah, even if you were adopted.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Darling, it is…just make sure you get him at the precise moment that it is appropriate.”

The front door opened, and out stepped James. He had grown since last time I had seen him…a little over a year ago. “What are you doing here? I thought you were never going to speak to Mother and Father again.”

“I am not….” I let my voice fade away for at that precise moment, my adopted parents stepped out of the manor, looking surprised to see me.

No one spoke for the next couple of seconds, for no one knew what to say. It was my husband who finally broke the silence by saying, “Good day, Jonathon, Susannah. It has been such a long time.”

“Yes, it has indeed,” Jonathon, stated, staring at me.

“We came by today to see if James would take pleasure in spending the afternoon with us.”

James looked at his parents saying, “May I? I promise I will not try to run away again or do you know what again…until I am wed that is.”

He was blushing now, for he had just embarrassed himself in front of my husband and myself. I placed a hand over my mouth to keep from yelling, “I told you he would be worse,” at the two standing before me.

Jessie noticed that I was failing to suppress a smile of pleasure. Not knowing why I was smiling, he grabbed hold of the seventeen year old’s arm saying, “Come along, James Leroux…today, your sister and I will show you a good day.”

Unexpectedly, the sound of crying suddenly rose from inside the carriage. My husband and myself looked at each other startled, then, back to Jonathon and Susannah Leroux.

I rushed to the carriage, reached inside, picked up Jack Lafayette from the seat, and turned back around to face James. “James, this is Jack Lafayette, your nephew.”

The reaction of the two older people standing there was of shock and unbelief. James on the other hand…well, he smiled, asking, “Can I embrace him?”

“Yes,” I answered, placing the newborn child into his arms.

“You mean you two actually fell in love?” Susannah Leroux asked, looking at the child in her son’s arms.

“ Susannah and I belong together, ma’am…even when we were children,” my husband answered her with an arrogant smile. “Is not that right, Darling?”

I simply smiled sweetly saying, “After all, love is only the beginning of a great marriage.”

The End!!!

There might be a part two...maybe, but I dunno. If there is a part 2 i will definatly post it...promise.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 am
Izzyeyore says...

AAH! i loved that! :D

Kay Kay says...

Thanx a bunch. I am thinking about making a part two but i have writters block...so yeah. Hopefully, though, the writters block will go away soon so that I can maybe start on one.

Thu May 12, 2005 3:29 am

that was really good, you should try to get it published or something.... that was good, there is room for a part 2 but there doesnt have to be one, good job.

Kay Kay wrote a review...

Yeah that part was a little confusing. Yeah i put 9 months later on my comp at home but forgot to add it onto here...or in this case, what I let Fallen Angel read. But anywayz i am thinking about making a part 2 but I dunno since I started something new that I haven't posted yet. I'll keep you posted.

Sam says...

Noooooo....

please, i beg of you, come up with part two!

Mattie wrote a review...

It was a little confusing...and you rushed things like you were ready for the story to be over already. I got really confused with this part:

“Good day, Jonathon, Susannah. It has been such a long time.”

Also, how did she have her child so quickly? She only just said she was pregnant...if this part is supposed to be like a "9 months later" thing then you should put that.

Kay Kay says...

Thanx...I really enjoyed writing it...thanx everybody who critted this story! Love all you guys a bunch.

mysterywriter says...

this was a great story. i enjoyed it and i look forward to part 2. 8)

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat